Re: [Hampshire] ZFS or equivalent available for Linux?

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] ZFS or equivalent available for Linux?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57788100.hantslug.org.uk.4111': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed Jan 16 12:15:25 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 01:53:37PM +0000, Philip Stubbs wrote:
> I have just had a quick look at this
> http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/docs/zfs_last.pdf
>
> and I want some!
>
> I have not really got my head round LVM. I did have a play with it
> for a bit, but decided I did not really need it.
>
> I have setup a mirrored drive.
>
> From reading the little I have about ZFS, it seems like it ticks all
> the right boxes for me. Being able to roll back files, recover from
> disk crashes and expand the storage with simple commands looks
> great. Unfortunately, it looks like there is a problem with the
> license, and my not get ported to Linux.
>
> Does anybody know different? Is there another file system that looks
> this good that is available in Linux?

It's still alpha-quality code, but it's probably worth keeping an
eye on Btrfs[1] ("Better File System") from Oracle. It looks very
promising so far. The Btrfs developers are also working well with the
linux kernel developers, which is always nice to see. Even if btrfs
doesn't make it to the bigtime itself, I would expect to see most if
not all of its features turn up in ext4 at some point as well.

Hugo.

[1] http://oss.oracle.com/projects/btrfs/dist/documentation/todo.html

   --- "It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take ---
              hold" - Hunter S Tolkien,  "Fear and Loathing
                              in Barad D?r"