Re: [Hampshire] [OT] How to find the IP address of something

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] How to find the IP address of something
On 15/01/2008, Tim <xendistar@???> wrote:

> I need to find the IP address of a piece of hardware, is there a way to
> discover the IP address? I have no clue what it was setup as so it could be
> set to anything.
>
> Any suggestions
>
> Tim

Remove the device from the network.
Fire up a linux box and connect it to the device via a crossover cable
or hub. (not a switch, or if a switch, use a switch with a mirror port
feature).
Start wireshark or tcpdump on the linux box and just wait.
The device should at some point output a packet. You can then find the
devices MAC address.
Then just use RARP to find its IP address if the IP address is not
present in the wireshark trace.

The importance of using a Linux box for the sniffing is because a
linux box is easier to keep quite on the network.

If this fails, you might be able to find out the MAC address by
looking at the labels on the device, and then use RARP on it.

Note: nmap is very rarely going to help for this sort of problem.

James