Re: [Hampshire] [OT] How to find the IP address of something

Author: Bob Dunlop
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] How to find the IP address of something
Hi,

On Tue, Jan 15 at 09:46, Tim wrote:
> I need to find the IP address of a piece of hardware, is there a way to
> discover the IP address? I have no clue what it was setup as so it could be
> set to anything.

Three methods spring to mind probably in the order I'd try them.

1. If you've got or can find the manual, perform a factory reset and
start with factory fresh settings.

2. Fire up wireshark and watch the traffic as the box is turned on.
You'll have to run in promiscuous (no filtering) mode and this can
be difficult to interpret if you have windows boxes spamming the
network.

3. The old fashioned way was to issue a broadcast ping and then examine
the arp table for new respondies. ie.

# ping -c 1 -b 192.168.1.255
# arp -a

Unfortunatly some networks/devices don't like/respond to broadcast
pings these days.

--
        Bob Dunlop