Re: [Hampshire] [OT] How to find the IP address of something

Author: Graham Bleach
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] How to find the IP address of something
On 15/01/2008, Tim <xendistar@???> wrote:

> I need to find the IP address of a piece of hardware, is there a way to
> discover the IP address? I have no clue what it was setup as so it could be
> set to anything.
>
> Any suggestions

If it's attached to a managed switch you could look up the port or the
in its ARP table. Otherwise you could connect it to a machine with a
crossover cable and watch for outbound traffic with tcpdump.

But, if it's being used as a print server, surely some machine
somewhere is configured to talk to it and you can look in its printer
config?