Re: [Hampshire] Sun to Buy MySQL

Author: Victor Churchill
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Sun to Buy MySQL
On 16/01/2008, Dr Adam J Trickett <adam.trickett@???> wrote:
> In case you haven't spotted this:
>
> Sun to buy MySQL for $1000M.
>
> Don't know if it's good or bad, but it's news.
>
> http://www.sun.com/aboutsun/pr/2008-01/sunflash.20080116.1.xml
>
> Any they were doing so well with PostgreSQL.

'Interesting'...

I've never used MySQL apart from once setting up a Bugzilla database;
I've always been in Oracle places. But the impression I'd picked up by
osmosis was that mySQL was widely considered by serious DB users as a
bit of a toy database and that PostgreSQL was more 'featured' (in
terms of procedures/triggers, constraints, modelling capabilities...
generally more hardcore). The Sun PR-speak ("Facebook, Google, Nokia",
"'MySQL Enterprise", ...) make it sound much more heavyweight. Are my
impressions out of date?

I had been wondering about suggesting to The Boz that going to
PostgreSQL instead of Oracle could be a good move. I'm now wondering
whether to plug mySQL instead - but IME when OSS comes under the wing
of a big commercial operation it loses a certain something...