Re: [Hampshire] Sun to Buy MySQL

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Sun to Buy MySQL
> I've never used MySQL apart from once setting up a Bugzilla database;
> I've always been in Oracle places. But the impression I'd picked up by
> osmosis was that mySQL was widely considered by serious DB users as a
> bit of a toy database

That certainly used to be the case.

At MySQL 4, they started to get their act together. MySQL 5 appears pretty
good.

> and that PostgreSQL was more 'featured' (in
> terms of procedures/triggers, constraints, modelling capabilities...
> generally more hardcore).

Generally true - but god help you if you want to do a DB upgrade :-(

> I had been wondering about suggesting to The Boz that going to
> PostgreSQL instead of Oracle could be a good move. I'm now wondering
> whether to plug mySQL instead

Is this for internal use or for a product?

MySQL is GPL or commercial; the client is no longer LGPL-licenced. Guess
who's just been bitten by this very issue :-(

Vic.