Re: [Hampshire] Network problems

Author: hantslug
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Network problems
Thanks, Simon.

On Saturday 19 January 2008 11:47, Simon Capstick wrote:
> hantslug@??? wrote:

[snip]
> > My ISP suggested firewall problems and advised uninstalling my firewall,
> > rebooting and installing it again, so that it finds the new connection.
> >
> > Sadly, since I haven't yet installed a firewall on this box, I can't
> > uninstall anything. (Unless, of course, Etch put something there. But
> > if so, I still can't uninstall it because I don't know what/where it is.)

[snip]
> > Meanwhile, on my main box I can't access Firefox or aptitude update ("it"
> > can't connect). (Tho' Konqueror works most of the time) Which also means
> > that I can't install anything. :-(

> Well you could always try a 'live' CD distribution on that PC (a distro
> that boots from the CD and doesn't touch your hard disk). If that works
> then you know you probably need to reinstall or find the software problem.

If anything worse - on all three computers.

> Otherwise if that fails try testing the PC with memtest. If that fails
> with one or more errors then you have a hardware problem in your PC.
> Ideally you should run memtest for 24 hours if you can, or longer if
> intermittent problems take more than 24 hours to occur.

I have only run memtest on one of the computers - but the other two work fine
on everything else.

> If that passes then the problem probably lies outside the PC, or with
> the PC's network card.
>
> At which point you need to start eliminating problem areas on your
> network. Try plugging the PC directly into the router (no intermediate
> network switches or homeplug devices) with a known good cable. If that
> fails then you need to look more carefully at the router and the PC's
> network card.

That fails - but on my computer everything except Firefox and the command line
can connect OK some of the time.

I have tried 4 network cards in 3 computers. And 2 routers. The only thing
that I have been advised to do - other than those siggested by the LUG is my
ISP's suggestion of firewall problems, which advice I have tried to follow,
but see above. And anyway, at that rate why do Live CDs not work?

:-(
Lisi