Re: [Hampshire] Network problems

Author: Simon Capstick
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Network problems
hantslug@??? wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 January 2008 23:18, hantslug@??? wrote:
>> My modem/router died yesterday, so today I installed a brand new one.
>>
>> I configured the router and then the three computers I currently have
>> linked up.
>>
>> I am left with some weird problems.
>
> Thanks, guys :-)
>
> I tried everything suggested, but didn't get far. :-( The problems are just
> too intermittent for anything to be considered repeatable. Even Dunhurst now
> works most of the time. (I deleted the network connection and installed
> a new - identical - one.) There are still, however, one or two "pockets of
> resistence"
>
> My ISP suggested firewall problems and advised uninstalling my firewall,
> rebooting and installing it again, so that it finds the new connection.
>
> Sadly, since I haven't yet installed a firewall on this box, I can't uninstall
> anything. (Unless, of course, Etch put something there. But if so, I still
> can't uninstall it because I don't know what/where it is.)
>
> I have tried Webmin. It says that I haven't got its preferred solution and
> that I haven't got a configured "Linux firewall".
>
> Meanwhile, on my main box I can't access Firefox or aptitude update ("it"
> can't connect). (Tho' Konqueror works most of the time) Which also means that
> I can't install anything. :-( Plus ca change....
>
> Help! I am beginning to think that another reinstall might be easier than
> this trouble-shooting. And I don't like reinstalls. So other suggestions
> welcomed with open arms.
>
> TIA
> Lisi

Well you could always try a 'live' CD distribution on that PC (a distro
that boots from the CD and doesn't touch your hard disk). If that works
then you know you probably need to reinstall or find the software problem.

Otherwise if that fails try testing the PC with memtest. If that fails
with one or more errors then you have a hardware problem in your PC.
Ideally you should run memtest for 24 hours if you can, or longer if
intermittent problems take more than 24 hours to occur.

If that passes then the problem probably lies outside the PC, or with
the PC's network card.

At which point you need to start eliminating problem areas on your
network. Try plugging the PC directly into the router (no intermediate
network switches or homeplug devices) with a known good cable. If that
fails then you need to look more carefully at the router and the PC's
network card.

That should keep you busy for now :-)

Simon