[Hampshire] Debian "parted" partition resize and "File syste…

Author: Imran Chaudhry
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Debian "parted" partition resize and "File system has an incompatible feature enabled."
Hello LUGites, I'm having a frustrating time trying to resize a
partition on my Debian Slug (etch).

I have a disc with two partitions, a root partition that is 500Mb in
size and /home which is 229Gb. Its an external USB2 HDD.
The /usr and /var partitions on / are taking the bulk of the 95% full
space and I had the idea of reducing /home by 50Gb and creating a new
partition on which to mount both /usr and /var. All ext3 file systems.

However, trying to resize the /home partition is proving troublesome.

My steps are:
a) log in as root, unmount /home
b) run parted in interactive mode and start resize
c) after supplying the start (768MB) and end (200GB) sizes I get the
error: "File system has an incompatible feature enabled."

So far I have tried various suggestions to no avail, these include
using tune2fs to remove either the "dir_index" or the journal. I undid
these operations when it was clear they didn't help.

Googling this error finds a lot of folks in the same boat and various
parted bug report pages but no definitive answers.

Perhaps I could find a way to list file system features and maybe try
to disable each one in turn until I get success.

Any help appreciated,
Imran