[Hampshire] Re: Debian "parted" partition resize and "File s…

Author: Imran Chaudhry
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Re: Debian "parted" partition resize and "File system has an incompatible feature enabled."
Thanks your replies guys. Knowing about debugfs really helped.

The features I needed to get rid of were:

ROOT@myslug:/var/log# debugfs -w /dev/sda3
debugfs:    feature -resize_inode
debugfs:  feature -dir_index

After the resize I did:
ROOT@myslug:~# e2fsck -f /dev/sda3
Resize inode not valid. Recreate<y>? yes
And a bunch of other checks were run.

I created 50Gb of free space which I split into two ext3 25Gb
partitions. Then I copied /var and /usr to these partitions using "cp
-rp" to preserve info. After tarballing the original dirs, I renamed
/usr and /var and then renamed the new /usr and /var. All OK and I did
a reboot to make sure. I love the way Debian "gets a lickin and keeps
on tickin".

No that was probably not best practice but I like to live dangerously
sometimes :)
Of course, the most desirable thing would be to resize / by 50Gb but
one cannot resize a mounted partition. I read about solutions that
involved installing a tiny Linux install on swap somewhere but I didnt
want the hassle.

Thanks again.