Re: [Hampshire] Network problems

Author: hantslug
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Network problems
On Wednesday 16 January 2008 23:18, hantslug@??? wrote:
> My modem/router died yesterday, so today I installed a brand new one.
>
> I configured the router and then the three computers I currently have
> linked up.
>
> I am left with some weird problems.

Thanks, guys :-)

I tried everything suggested, but didn't get far. :-( The problems are just
too intermittent for anything to be considered repeatable. Even Dunhurst now
works most of the time. (I deleted the network connection and installed
a new - identical - one.) There are still, however, one or two "pockets of
resistence"

My ISP suggested firewall problems and advised uninstalling my firewall,
rebooting and installing it again, so that it finds the new connection.

Sadly, since I haven't yet installed a firewall on this box, I can't uninstall
anything. (Unless, of course, Etch put something there. But if so, I still
can't uninstall it because I don't know what/where it is.)

I have tried Webmin. It says that I haven't got its preferred solution and
that I haven't got a configured "Linux firewall".

Meanwhile, on my main box I can't access Firefox or aptitude update ("it"
can't connect). (Tho' Konqueror works most of the time) Which also means that
I can't install anything. :-( Plus ca change....

Help! I am beginning to think that another reinstall might be easier than
this trouble-shooting. And I don't like reinstalls. So other suggestions
welcomed with open arms.

TIA
Lisi