Re: [Hampshire] Network problems

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Network problems
On Wednesday 16 January 2008 23:18:15 hantslug@??? wrote:
> My modem/router died yesterday, so today I installed a brand new one.
>
> I configured the router and then the three computers I currently have
> linked up.
>
> I am left with some weird problems.
>
> On Tux, any ping works, Konqueror works (i.e. goes to a web address when
> given one), but neither Opera nor Firefox will resolve.
>
> On Dozy, all three browsers were working fine. (As does ping). But just
> now, Firefox failed to resolve, but Konqeror is still fine.
>
> On Dunhurst, the internet is simply unreachable. Even pinging an external
> IP does not get a result.
>
> All three computers can ping the router and each other. Tux and Dozy can
> ping anything I have tried, both by address and by IP. Dunhurst can ping
> only the internal network, but can ping all three nodes (?vocab?),
> including the router. (Dunhurst has just failed to ping the router. :-( )
>
> The "router" is single port and all three computers are connected to it via
> a three port Home Plug. I have changed the Cat5 cables around in the plug,
> but it made no difference.
>
> Any suggestions very much welcomed.
>
> It is possible that the router is faulty (other symptoms), but I do not see
> how it could produce this particular mix. :-( Since I had already decided
> that the router was faulty, that is a possible explanation.
>
> The home hub network has always before worked perfectly and was working
> immediately before I connected this new "router" up. (The internal network
> worked fine still on the old "router". But it could not reach the
> Internet.)
>
> **If this _could_ all be due to a faulty router, I would be grateful to be
> told that too. It will give me more to go on if I have to send it back.**
>
> TIA
> Lisi

Hi Lisi

I would start with a ifconfig on each machine then compare the setting of the
two working with one non working to see if anything looks different (apart
from the IP address).

Swap the lead on the faulty PC with one of the working ones and recheck
connectivity.

On the router try moving the non working PC to another port prefably one of
the working ones.

Do you have wireshark installed? try starting that and then try connecting to
the internet and see what wireshark says

What make and model router did you buy??

Sorry if the first couple sound like telling you how to suck eggs but start
simple and work up (maybe I should remember that :o )

Tim