Re: [Hampshire] Network problems

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Network problems
On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 23:18:15 +0000
hantslug@??? wrote:

> My modem/router died yesterday, so today I installed a brand new
> one.
>
> I configured the router and then the three computers I currently
> have linked up.
>
> I am left with some weird problems.
>
> On Tux, any ping works, Konqueror works (i.e. goes to a web address
> when given one), but neither Opera nor Firefox will resolve.
>
> On Dozy, all three browsers were working fine. (As does ping).
> But just now, Firefox failed to resolve, but Konqeror is still fine.
>
> On Dunhurst, the internet is simply unreachable. Even pinging an
> external IP does not get a result.

What DNS addresses is the router providing?

Despite me telling my D-Link router to use the addresses provided by
my ISP it still puts out its own IP address (192.168.1.1) with the
result I cannot get a connection.

Using the resolvconf package sorts this out as it overwrites
/etc/resolv.conf with what I want and tags the router
provided DNS address on the end

The w2k box seems to ignore the router and uses the DNS addresses I
set it up with in control panel.

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) & the GeneWeb genealogical data server