[Hampshire] Some Debian bits & bobs

Author: john lewis
To: HantsLUG
Subject: [Hampshire] Some Debian bits & bobs
Christian Perrier blogged:

'The dpkg maintenance team just changed the priority of the good old
dselect from Important to Optional. Simultaneously, overrides were
changed by FTP masters.'

As a consequence, dselect will no longer be installed by default when
installing a "standard" Debian system.

Brice Goglin blogged:

'We are getting many bugs about wrong DPI configuration and
DisplaySize not working. In most of the cases, it is actually caused
by a confusion between Monitor sections in xorg.conf and RandR 1.2
outputs.............

See the HowToRandR12 sections III.1 and III.3 for details.'

http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12

this link suggests X will now work without an xorg.conf so as I
needed to restart X due to an upgrade of xserver.xorg.core this
morning I renamed 'xorg.conf' to 'working.xorg.conf' and ran <exec
startx>

Within seconds I had a working windowmaker with, on the face of it,
no obvious snags. Fonts in konsole and clawsmail are smaller than I
like but that is simple to remedy. One fairly major problem, that
showed up as soon as I started typing this email, is that the keyboard
isn't set up for a UK one so need to sort that out pretty soon.

Axel Beckert blogged:

'......... I bought a brand-new Lenovo ThinkPad T61 (2,2 GHz Intel
Core2 Duo T7500, 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HD, 1440x900 14” Widescreen) without
preinstalled operating system (possible thanks to the ETHZ Neptun
Project) and installed — of course — 64-bit Debian Stable on
it.........

The next software of which I’m currently running an alpha version is
64-bit Opera 9.50 (aka Kestrel, available at snapshot.opera.com)
because no earlier Opera version is available for 64-bit Linuxes.
Here I had different experiences: The builds from October and
November were already quite stable, but since December it crashes
usually several times a day.....................'

http://snapshot.opera.com/unix/

these snippets are taken from planet debian

http://planet.debian.net/

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) & the GeneWeb genealogical data server