[Hampshire] [OT: Hardware] Notebook as desktop replacment

Top Page
Author: Adam Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] [OT: Hardware] Notebook as desktop replacment

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56824100.hantslug.org.uk.25086': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Jan 20 11:34:29 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
Hi,

A family member wants a new notebook to run PhotoShop/Illustrator on Windows
XP[0]. He only needs it to be portable so he is willing to trade
speed/performance in favour to battery life and compactness. I've tried to
convince him that performance, laptop and price are a classic case of you can
have any two but never three.

Any hardware suggestions for something with decent dual-core CPU, 4Gb of RAM
(or more), decent 7.6k rpm disks, dedicated ati/nvidia graphics, 17" screen.

Personally I don't believe in desktop replacement notebooks, I'd rather have a
decent desktop and if I were to buy a notebook something smaller and more
portable. The fist machine that leaps to mind if you believe in this kind of
hardware is a MacBook Pro[1]. I belive that Dell make kit like this as do
Sony, anyone else to consider?

[0] He has tried Linux (Boxed SUSE) but didn't like it.
[1] I think he has tried the Mac, I'm not sure he liked it either.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

A feature is a bug with seniority.