Re: [Hampshire] [OT: Hardware] Notebook as desktop replacmen…

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: adam.trickett, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT: Hardware] Notebook as desktop replacment
Adam Trickett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A family member wants a new notebook to run PhotoShop/Illustrator on Windows
> XP[0]. He only needs it to be portable so he is willing to trade
> speed/performance in favour to battery life and compactness. I've tried to
> convince him that performance, laptop and price are a classic case of you can
> have any two but never three.

I tend to agree with you there.

> Any hardware suggestions for something with decent dual-core CPU, 4Gb of RAM
> (or more), decent 7.6k rpm disks, dedicated ati/nvidia graphics, 17" screen.

Good old trusty Dell will sort you out:

http://tinyurl.com/2fj5ss

They also do some gaming machines but that will fall short on the price
criteria I suspect. I have a Dell D430 that I use for work and can say
that I am generally pleased with the build and performance, although it
is totally unsuitable for your requirements. This example was plucked
from the site in about 60 seconds and fulfills most of the criteria,
albeit by following the upgrade paths suggested and thereby pushing up
the price; Intel 2GHz dual-core + 4GB RAM + 500GB HDD + 17" = £1000+.

Acer are pretty good in terms of quality, price and spec these days, too.

> Personally I don't believe in desktop replacement notebooks, I'd rather have a
> decent desktop and if I were to buy a notebook something smaller and more
> portable. The fist machine that leaps to mind if you believe in this kind of
> hardware is a MacBook Pro[1]. I belive that Dell make kit like this as do
> Sony, anyone else to consider?
>
> [0] He has tried Linux (Boxed SUSE) but didn't like it.
> [1] I think he has tried the Mac, I'm not sure he liked it either.

*sigh*

:-)

Sean