[Hampshire] Partitioning weird stuff win 2000 hard drive?

Author: alan c
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Partitioning weird stuff win 2000 hard drive?
I attempted to re size a win 2000 partition today and failed, which
surprised me. The PC is of unknown detail history but was used in a
company environment before being given out for recycling use. Maybe
one HD was removed, leaving only one, not sure.

It was a working win 2000 system though.

I used a live CD of gparted, which gave greyed out information with no
resize option at all. The live CD was not a recent version, was maybe
a year old, so maybe it was not as clever as it should have been. I
then used a recent parted magic (same author as gparted used to be)
and it allowed a resize.
Initially I chose to approximately halve the size of the win2000
partition from 40 GB to around 20 GB, still leaving about 10 GB free
space within the win2000 partition. An error message showed up and the
live CD left the HD unchanged. I did try again, this time asking for a
minimal change of size, from 40 GB down to 33 GB. This was apparently
accepted, and in the following several hours(!) it seemed to complete
a resize and a move, but before the end of this second process, an
error mesage appeared, and the original size re instated, apparently
with no change.

I temporarilry gave up, and tried the original win 2000, which did not
now boot (load failure! press any key to reboot) which I sort of
guess is a MBR in need of repair, although I do not know why.

Use of knoppix shows files apparently still in place and readable.
A 90 seconds use of seagate live cd with seatools checking the hard
drive indicates no errors.

any ideas please
1) what is preventing a resize of theis win2000 partiton?
2) why should the boot arrangements have been disturbed?

tia
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391