Re: [Hampshire] pop.ntlworld.com

Author: Simon Huggins
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] pop.ntlworld.com
On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 11:50:14AM +0000, Charlie de Courcy wrote:

> James Ashburner said the following on 25/01/08 11:45:
> >Charlie de Courcy wrote:
> >> however I cannot send mail using SMTP.
> >They don't allow you to relay mail through their servers if you're
> >not on an NTL/Virgin connection, but I'd have thought the reason for
> >that is fairly obvious ;)
> It certainly used to work (in the last few months),

Are you sure?

That would mean they were running an open SMTP relay which would be
noticed by spammers and abused and probably blacklisted around the
world.

Did you change anything in your mail config mean time? It's more likely
that they are running an SMTP server that allows you to authenticate and
that you either changed your config or that they started rejecting your
username/password for other reasons (account expired, password changed
etc).

--
----------(       <sladen> you can tell the quality of       )----------