Re: [Hampshire] pop.ntlworld.com

Author: Charlie de Courcy
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] pop.ntlworld.com

Simon Huggins said the following on 25/01/08 12:05:
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 11:50:14AM +0000, Charlie de Courcy wrote:
>

>> James Ashburner said the following on 25/01/08 11:45:

>>> They don't allow you to relay mail through their servers if you're
>>> not on an NTL/Virgin connection, but I'd have thought the reason for
>>> that is fairly obvious ;)
>>>
>> It certainly used to work (in the last few months),
>>

> Are you sure?
>
> That would mean they were running an open SMTP relay which would be
> noticed by spammers and abused and probably blacklisted around the
> world.
>
> Did you change anything in your mail config mean time? It's more likely
> that they are running an SMTP server that allows you to authenticate and
> that you either changed your config or that they started rejecting your
> username/password for other reasons (account expired, password changed
> etc).

Pretty sure so....! I used to use a different client at work to
simultaneously send/receive personal emails.
Yes I had to use authentication, however this did work. Now they appear
to have shut access completely.
I use the same laptop on both my home (virgin) and work networks and it
only works on the former regardless of SMTP server settings.

Charlie