[Hampshire] Help with managing printserver unit?

Author: alan c
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Help with managing printserver unit?
I am having trouble understanding how to temporarily use my edimax
printsir PS-901 print server unit in an friends PC and network.

My unit is physically small, hardly big enough to have the parallel
socket on one end - and it works fine on my network. I originally set
it years ago to use IP address 192.168.1.25 (presumably by following
instructions key by key.....), and this IP works ok too. I have had it
for some time, and since I have never needed to mess with it, I have
never expanded my very limited understanding of the issues relating to
it, and the network.

My home network has a vigor wired adsl modem 4 port router and I run
utp cabes from this variously round the house and in several places
have switches to fan out to other PCs and printers. All the switches
are basic self managed auto units. Most kit is not often on all
together, usually only one or two at a time. This is mostly a hobby
network.

My router is 192.168.1.1 and has dhcp on. I can put a PC on any place
in the house and set up to print direct (TCP I think) to the print
server address with its printer. It all works very well.

On my network, if I use a browser addressed to 192.168.1.25 I start
talking to the print server web page, no problem.

1) I took the unit to my friend's office and plugged the unit onto a
printer, ethernet cabled it up to an ethernet switch that several PCs
were also connected to, and found that PC/s did not communicate
successfully with the print server. The office network modem router is
192.168.2.1. I suspect my lack of appreciation of subnetworks is a
problem here, but what exactly?

2) I looked at some printserver instructions for somewhat similar
units and then tried: took a PC, disconnected its ethernet cable,
connected it straight to the printserver (by itself, no printer),
changed the PC fixed IP from its original 192.168.2.104 to various
other numbers. But did not seem to be able to communicate with the
unit. The handbooks talk about an initial (post factory) setup needing
PC as 10.0.0.2 and print server address will respond as 10.0.0.1, get
its http pages and then change its IP address from 10.0.0.1 to
something else. I did not even get as far as gettin through to it, any
method.

A ping to 192.168.1.25 did not get through, for example. I do not
understand why, because the unit thinks it is that IP.
All Pcs I used were ubuntu or kubuntu

I conclude that there are a few basics I am missing with basic IP
stiff and subnets?

Given that the unit's IP is 192.168.1.25 and I can change a PC's IP to
anything I want on a non crossed UTP ethernet cable directly between
them, what am I missing please? Was I getting close? (crossed cable
needed??)

tia
--
alan cocks