Re: [Hampshire] Help with managing printserver unit?

Author: Berni Elbourn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Help with managing printserver unit?
alan c wrote:
> I am having trouble understanding how to temporarily use my edimax
> printsir PS-901 print server unit in an friends PC and network.

> On my network, if I use a browser addressed to 192.168.1.25 I start
> talking to the print server web page, no problem.

> 1) I took the unit to my friend's office and plugged the unit onto a
> printer, ethernet cabled it up to an ethernet switch that several
> PCs were also connected to, and found that PC/s did not communicate
> successfully with the print server. The office network modem router
> is 192.168.2.1. I suspect my lack of appreciation of subnetworks is a
> problem here, but what exactly?

Chances are the subnet at your friend is defining 192.168.2.x as local.
Stuff outside this range are sent to their router. If so the PCs at your
friends network are probably sending traffic for printer 192.168.1.25
onto the local router - probably the broadband router - which tries to
pass it onto the ISP....the printer just does not get a look in. :-)

Try to modify your friends network into the form 192.168.1.x like yours.

Alternatively, you could define a second address on your friends PCs.
This kind of thing:

cd /etc/network
cp interfaces interfaces.orig
vi interfaces # and add these 4 lines

auto eth0:1
face eth0:1 inet static
address 192.168.1.xx
netmask 255.255.255.0

xx needs to be unique for each machine, and not 25

Lots here for bedtime reading: http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/network.htm

Hope this helps,

Berni