Re: [Hampshire] Microsoft wants to purchase Yahoo

Author: Dr Adam J Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Microsoft wants to purchase Yahoo
On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 at 01:54:17PM +0000, Tony.Lambert@??? wrote:

> > All said and done most of yahoos servers are linux :) so, erm is m$ gonna
> replace
> > them with there own product ?
>
> Does anyone know if they ever managed to replace all the *NIX boxes that
> ran Hotmail ? Last time I heard (admittedly years ago) they could not.

I believe that an internal report said that even though they paid nothing
for the software, migrating from BSD to Windows was a technical disaster for
Hotmail. If anyone else had done it, it would have been a financial disaster
too...

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

engineer: n. one who, regardless of how much effort he puts in
to a job, will never satisfy either the suits or the scientists