Re: [Hampshire] Microsoft wants to purchase Yahoo

Author: Samuel Penn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Microsoft wants to purchase Yahoo

On Fri, February 1, 2008 13:54, Tony.Lambert@??? wrote:

>> All said and done most of yahoos servers are linux :) so, erm is m$
>> gonna
> replace
>> them with there own product ?
>
> Does anyone know if they ever managed to replace all the *NIX boxes that
> ran Hotmail ?
> Last time I heard (admittedly years ago) they could not.

They did. The technical guy running the project wrote a very
interesting white paper on their experiences, basically
admitting that the UNIX approach was a lot better for managing
massive server farms, and that Windows would have to change.
This was back in 2000, and MS have improved things a lot since
then, though some of us here probably think they still have
some way to go.

http://www.securityoffice.net/mssecrets/hotmail.html

The Register article:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/11/21/ms_paper_touts_unix/

And I was hoping Yahoo and AOL would move to XMPP to combat
Microsoft IM. At least AOL seem to be thinking about it.

--
Be seeing you,            http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.                      xmpp:sam@???