Re: [Hampshire] GPG passphrase brute forcing

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] GPG passphrase brute forcing

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57ba8100.hantslug.org.uk.27577': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Feb 3 15:54:14 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 03:32:01PM +0000, Dean Earley wrote:
> Chris Oattes wrote:
>> The thing is, passphrases are meant to make it so that anyone who obtains
>> your private key can't use it without knowing the passphrase. If they were
>> "easy" to break, there wouldn't be any point in using them, as anyone
>> that got the key could break it just as easily using the same brute force
>> method. This would make PGP signifcantly less secure.
>
> I know, but it CAN still be brute forced.
> I just haven;t found anything to do it yet :)

If it can be brute-forced on a single PC in sensible time, then
it's a pretty poor passphrase...

Hugo.

              --- w.w.w.  : England's batting scorecard ---