Re: [Hampshire] GPG passphrase brute forcing

Top Page
Author: Brad Rogers
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] GPG passphrase brute forcing

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x58632100.hantslug.org.uk.23772': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Feb 3 16:02:34 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 497BD1F48AB6137F
On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 15:32:01 +0000
Dean Earley <dean@???> wrote:

Hello Dean,

> I know, but it CAN still be brute forced.
> I just haven;t found anything to do it yet :)

Considering that distributed.net took 1757 days to crack the RC5-64 code
they were doing, with all the machines that they had involved (many
thousands) I think you might have a tough time with just your machine.
Even with a substantially reduced pass phrase size, and possibly, some
vague idea of what it _might_ have been, you may well be "on a hiding
to nothing", as they say.

--
 Regards  _

The stakes were high but the danger low