Re: [Hampshire] GPG passphrase brute forcing

Author: Bob Dunlop
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] GPG passphrase brute forcing
Hi,

On Sun, Feb 03 at 11:26, Dean Earley wrote:
> Has anyone come across a script to brute force a passphrase?
>
> Unfortunately, I can't even revoke it without the phrase :|

I hate to say, in the voice normally used for backups "you did
make a revocation key at the time you created the private key
didn't you". It's in the key creation FAQ. Create a revocation
key now and keep it safe. Mine's printed on a piece of paper in
my filing cabinet, I'd hate to have to type it in by hand but I
could if I had too.

Perhaps this should be a reminder/warning to all those people
creating new keys. Create and look after a revocation key for
the time in the future when you loose or compromise your private
key.

--
        Bob Dunlop