Re: [Hampshire] GPG passphrase brute forcing

Top Page
Author: Adam Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] GPG passphrase brute forcing

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56f8f100.hantslug.org.uk.27007': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Feb 3 13:11:43 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
On Sunday 03 Feb 2008, Dean Earley wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> After Hugo's talk yesterday, I decided to see if I could find my old PGP
> details.
> Unfortunately, it appears I set a passphrase when I created it 7 years ago.
> Numerous sites say it needs to be bruteforced, but don;t say how.
> Has anyone come across a script to brute force a passphrase?
>
> Unfortunately, I can't even revoke it without the phrase :|

I'm in the same situation, I have some old PGP keys, private and public pairs,
and I can't remember the password to the private part...

It's supposed to be hard to do, even if you have the private key and an idea
of what the passphase could be...

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Windows has detected: "unknown device", and is installing drivers for it.
    -- Microsoft Windows