Re: [Hampshire] xubuntu rc3.d

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] xubuntu rc3.d
On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 14:29:21 +0000
Dr Adam J Trickett <adam.trickett@???> wrote:

> I've long known that Debian uses a much simpler runlevel approach
> than Red Hat and others. I don't know why though, does anyone know
> why?

I have tried googling for an answer to that question, but clearly I
didn't phrase my search criteria correctly as I got no real answer

> Additionally I'm sure I saw something where Debian was thinking of
> changing the current policy, I can't reacall if it was to move to
> some SysInit NG technology or adopt a more conventional approach.

I too have something in the back of my mind about going away from the
SysV Init approach but again can find nothing to confirm this
'feeling' Could it be that moving to an open source bios would allow
this?

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) & the GeneWeb genealogical data server