[Hampshire] DNS servers in DMZ's, good or bad idea ? Discuss

Author: Brian Chivers
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] DNS servers in DMZ's, good or bad idea ? Discuss
I have been "tasked" with replacing our main internet facing DNS server and have been looking into
the various such as chroot environments. I'd planned on using a base install of Etch as the OS
platform.

Chroot's seem like a really good idea but one thing I thought that I could do to increase security
is to run the it in our DMZ. I can have multiple external IP addresses on our firewall so this isn't
a problem and the just port forward port 53.

Am I missing something, would this work and does anyone have any advice about this ??

Thanks
Brian

                the views of Portsmouth College