[Hampshire] Aptitude question

Author: Peter Salisbury
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Aptitude question
I recently had a problem with libccid (reported as BTS 463977).

That made me wonder why I had libccid installed in the first place
since I don't think I need it.

In aptitude it was marked with an A for automatic - i.e. I have
something installed which depends on it. Doing an 'r' to find out
WHAT depends on it, I found only pcscd (depends) which I also didn't
need and was also marked with an A. Doing an 'r' on pcscd revealed
the only installed package was libccid (recommends).

In summary: pcscd depends on libccid which recommends pcscd. They are
both marked as automatically installed and there are no other
packages installed which depend, suggest or recommend either of them.

Presumably at some time I played with a package which needed one or
other, ended up with them both and then removed whatever I was
playing with.

Does anyone know if this is:

a) a bug in Aptitude (should have spotted the loop and removed them
both) or

b) a bug in libccid/pcscd packages (shouldn't have a circular
dependency loop) or

c) my hard luck for playing with things?

TIA, Peter