Re: [Hampshire] Aptitude question

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Aptitude question
On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 15:23:45 +0000
Peter Salisbury <peterthevicar@???> wrote:

> I recently had a problem with libccid (reported as BTS 463977).
>
> That made me wonder why I had libccid installed in the first place
> since I don't think I need it.
>
> In aptitude it was marked with an A for automatic - i.e. I have
> something installed which depends on it. Doing an 'r' to find out
> WHAT depends on it, I found only pcscd (depends) which I also
> didn't need and was also marked with an A. Doing an 'r' on pcscd
> revealed the only installed package was libccid (recommends).

from the package description:

"The purpose of PC/SC Lite is to provide a Windows(R) SCard interface
in a very small form factor for communicating to smart cards and
smart cards readers.

The PC/SC daemon is used to dynamically allocate/deallocate reader
drivers at runtime and manage connections to the readers."

I don't think it is installed by default, I certainly don't have it
on my system. Could it have been installed as part of hardware
detection because your system has such a card reader

You can get rid of it by doing an <aptitude purge pcscd> and libccid
should get removed with it.

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) & the GeneWeb genealogical data server