Re: [Hampshire] February's talk videos

Author: john
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] February's talk videos
On Sunday 10 February 2008 17:34:27 Hugo Mills wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 05:01:00PM +0000, Tony Whitmore wrote:
> > The videos from this month’s HantsLUG meeting are available for download
> > from the website. This month includes:
> >
> >     * Practical Cryptography: GnuPG.

> >       Hugo Mills gives a short talk on GnuPG, a Free Software PGP
> > replacement. This talk also covers some basic cryptography principles,
> > but doesn’t involve any mathematics!

>    Would there be interest in follow-up talks on e.g. any of the
> following?

> - More about GPG (mail clients, etc)
> - ssh
> - X.509 certificates
>
>    I did think about putting encrypted filesystems on the list as
> well, but it's not something I've played with much, and there's
> several different implementations, and some controversy over the
> actual security of some of them.

>    Hugo.

I can do a talk on Truecrypt and e_crypt working together at the next
Southampton Meeting.

What is e_crypt? I will leave that to my proposed talk.

A hint it is a program which is designed to use passwords and encrypt without
the user being able to know what the password is.

It uses a maximum of 928 bit encryption which is beyond the safe limits of
password length for Blowfish, RC4 and AES. To handle this I had to do a spot
of fuzzy encryption work using all 3 encryption coding methods. Code will be
available for public scrutiny at my proposed talk for those who are
interested.

John Eayrs