Thanks, guys! Was: [Re: [Hampshire] problems with /etc/netwo…

Author: hantslug
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Thanks, guys! Was: [Re: [Hampshire] problems with /etc/network/interfaces on Debian Etch box]
On Monday 11 February 2008 15:39, Simon Capstick wrote:
> hantslug@??? wrote:
> > I want all my boxen on static IPs. [snip] So something is wrong. [snip]
> > :-(
> > auto lo
> > iface lo inet loopback
> >
> > auto eth0
> > iface eth0 inet dhcp
> >
> > # iface eth0 inet static
> > #       address 192.168.0.2
> > #       netmask 255.255.255.0
> > #       gateway 192.168.0.1
> > #       dns-nameservers 212.23.3.100 212.23.6.100

> > Can anyone see what is wrong? All suggestions very gratefully received.
> >
> > TIA
> > Lisi
>
> I don't know if it's required, but how about adding the line:
>
> network 192.168.0.0
>
> Simon

And:

On Monday 11 February 2008 15:40, Simon Huggins wrote:
> Are you doing:
> ifdown eth0
> $editor /etc/network/interfaces
> ifup eth0

I tried both simultaneously: i.e.
ifdown eth0
then vim /etc/network/interfaces
changed the comments round, added network 192.168.0.0
ifup eth0

Network came back up - but still on DHCP and the address that had been
allocated by the router on start-up.

So I tried rebooting, not really expecting to get anywhere, and the connection
is working - and the IP address is 192.168.0.2. \o/

Thank you all very much. :-)) That includes you, Sean. I appreciate the
help - I was just working thro' in order and didn't get as far as yours.
Once it ain't broke any more, I don't feel like fixing it. ;-)

I have never had a problem before. But then, most Distro installs (including
of other Deb based Distros) allow me say that I want static IP at the time of
installation (although the default is DHCP). Etch doesn't. It imposes DHCP.
I hate to say it, John, but I see that as a remaining weakness in the
installer.

Lisi