Re: Thanks, guys! Was: [Re: [Hampshire] problems with /etc/n…

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: Thanks, guys! Was: [Re: [Hampshire] problems with /etc/network/interfaces on Debian Etch box]
On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 17:11:12 +0000
hantslug@??? wrote:

> I have never had a problem before. But then, most Distro installs
> (including of other Deb based Distros) allow me say that I want
> static IP at the time of installation (although the default is
> DHCP). Etch doesn't. It imposes DHCP. I hate to say it, John, but
> I see that as a remaining weakness in the installer.

I can't really comment, I haven't done an install of etch for
ages, recent installs have all been lenny. In any case I haven't used
anything but dhcp for at least a couple of years.

I did tell my adsl router to give the same IP address to specific
systems so my database server <landing> is always 192.168.1.4 and the
w2K box <fort> is always 192.168.1.2 and so on. dhcp gives Guest boxes
or laptops whatever addresses are otherwise unused in the specified
range.

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) & the GeneWeb genealogical data server