Re: [Hampshire] Unidentified partitions

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Unidentified partitions

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56bbf100.hantslug.org.uk.10215': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Feb 11 23:19:51 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 09:57:48PM -0000, Damian Brasher wrote:
> The problem - got there eventually - is that two of the partitions are not
> recognised by the mount command, i.e. mount -t $type /dev/hda4 /mnt/tmp
> two others are. This is the potential partition layout:
>
> /dev/hda1 - not recognised
> /dev/hda2 - recognised, contains yaboot.conf
> /dev/hda3 - recognised, contains vmlinuz
> /dev/hda4 - not recognised
>
> I have attempted to use a number of partition types, as I can't remember
> exactly which file system I used as it was so long ago I initially built
> the machine.

This may give some indication:

$ dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/tmp/hda1 bs=512 count=1024
$ file /tmp/hda1

> fdisk -l /dev/hda complains that there is a missing partition tables,
> which is unexpected, or possibly not: 'Disk /dev/hda doesn't contain a
> valid partition table'.
>
> I am currently running gpart overnight; gpart /dev/hda to see if I can
> glean some more information about the partitions on the disk.
>
> Does anyone have some idea about what may have happened here? I am
> wondering if the fact the disk was previously used in a Power PC format
> perhaps this has affected the state of the partition table.

Unlikely, really, if you've got a normal DOS-style partition table
on there.

Hugo.

      --- Q: What goes, "Pieces of seven! Pieces of seven!"? A: ---
                            A parroty error.