Re: [Hampshire] Unidentified partitions

Author: Damian Brasher
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Unidentified partitions
Alan Pope wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 01:21:48PM +0000, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
>> Has your linux kernel been build to support non-x86 partitions?
>> Support for non-x86 partitions on a x86 kernel is normally not
>> included by default.
>> In your kernel source dir:
>> make menuconfig
>> ->File systems->Partition Types
>>

> Ubuntu seems to include quite a few non x86 in its kernel.
>
> alan@tp:~$ grep PART /boot/config-2.6.22-14-generic
> CONFIG_ACORN_PARTITION=y
> # CONFIG_ACORN_PARTITION_ADFS is not set
> # CONFIG_ACORN_PARTITION_CUMANA is not set
> # CONFIG_ACORN_PARTITION_EESOX is not set
> CONFIG_ACORN_PARTITION_ICS=y
> # CONFIG_ACORN_PARTITION_POWERTEC is not set
> CONFIG_ACORN_PARTITION_RISCIX=y
> CONFIG_AMIGA_PARTITION=y
> CONFIG_ATARI_PARTITION=y
> CONFIG_EFI_PARTITION=y
> CONFIG_KARMA_PARTITION=y
> CONFIG_LDM_PARTITION=y
> CONFIG_MAC_PARTITION=y
> CONFIG_MINIX_SUBPARTITION=y
> CONFIG_MSDOS_PARTITION=y
> CONFIG_OSF_PARTITION=y
> CONFIG_PARTITION_ADVANCED=y
> CONFIG_PM_STD_PARTITION=""
> CONFIG_SGI_PARTITION=y
> CONFIG_SOLARIS_X86_PARTITION=y
> CONFIG_SUN_PARTITION=y
> CONFIG_ULTRIX_PARTITION=y
> CONFIG_MTD_PARTITIONS=y
> CONFIG_MTD_REDBOOT_PARTS=m
> # CONFIG_MTD_REDBOOT_PARTS_READONLY is not set
> # CONFIG_MTD_REDBOOT_PARTS_UNALLOCATED is not set
> CONFIG_SYSV68_PARTITION=y
> alan@tp:~$

Worth a try before opening up the mac-mini again. I'm currently using a
live Knoppix CD (V.5.1) to run the machine. I'll see later if gpart
http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/user/76201/gpart/ for those that haven't
used it before, reveals anything and dump the would be partition table to
a file for examination as Hugo has suggested previously # file -
</dev/hda1.

I may need to rebuild the partition table.

That's a decent amount of modules by default however, <noting the above>.

Thanks Damian

--
Damian Brasher

www.interlinux.co.uk