Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu, DMA, and 32-bit I/O

Author: Vic
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu, DMA, and 32-bit I/O
> Is that your only drive?

Yep.

> I had serious problems when mixing SATA and
> PATA. I ask because you have a PATA device showing up on what looks
> like a SATA device node /dev/sda

This appears to be the new way of doing things; both PATA and SATA are
handled by libata, and show up as /dev/sdX. Unfortunately, this seems to
mean that certain (perhaps all) PATA drives run like complete dogs :-(

I've found an option to use at install time that turns this off
(allegedly...), but so far, I haven't found anything that will fix things
after installation. So I've got a shiny new Kubuntu machine that is quite
astoundingly slow (>90% in wait as soon as I try to do anything).

Can't say I'm impressed...

Vic.