[Hampshire] Ubuntu, DMA, and 32-bit I/O

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Ubuntu, DMA, and 32-bit I/O
Hi All.

I've just installed Kubuntu on a machine here. It's not going well...

Specifically, drive access is *very* slow. hdparm tell me that it is
running in 16-bit mode, with DMA disabled.

hdparm -c1 /dev/sda fails with "Invalid argument", hdparm -d1 /dev/sda
fails with "Inappropriate ioctl for device".

The drive in question is a 40GB Hitachi PATA device. It appears to be
using either the ata_piix or ata_generic drivers (both are listed by
lsmod), and these in turn use libata.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Google only seems to say "rebuild your
kernel", which isn't a long-term option here...

Vic.