Re: [Hampshire] maximum memory use for a process

Author: Chris Liddell
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] maximum memory use for a process
At 19:32 06/02/2008 +0000, you wrote:

>Hi Chris,
>
>On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 06:04:39PM +0000, Chris Liddell wrote:
> > So, is there a command like, for example, "time" which, instead of
> > processor time used, gives the (maximum) amount of memory?
>
>The first value in /proc/<pid>/statm is the VSZ and the second value
>is the RSS. i.e. The total amount of memory used including that in
>swap, and the amount of resident memory used.
>
>Both values are in pages -- usually (always?) 4096kiB
>
>You could periodically check those values and keep a record of the
>time when they are largest.
>
>"man proc" for more details.

Hi Andy,

As I said, I'd already thought of that solution, I was just wondering if
there was an existing tool to achieve the same results (no sense
reinventing the wheel, and all that!).

I guess I'll go with that method, then.

Chris

P.S. Sorry for the delay in reading your reply, I had a few days off work
(woohoo!).

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.