[Hampshire] Wireless interface inactive on booting

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Wireless interface inactive on booting
I have just set up an Ubuntu machine for my mother-in-law and configured
it to connect to the BT HomeHub thingy.

For some reason the wireless interface will not automatically connect
after a reboot, and I need to issue the command ´sudo
/etc/init.d/networking restart´, whereupon it connects immediately.

The relevant entry in /etc/network/interfaces looks like this:

    auto wlan1
    iface wlan1 inet dhcp
        wireless-key xxxxxxxxxx
        wireless-essid xxxxxxxxxx

eth0 is defined but completely commented out as this interface is unused.

Any thoughts on how I can make the wireless connection active on boot
without the manual intervention?

Cheers,

Sean