Re: [Hampshire] Wireless interface inactive on booting

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Wireless interface inactive on booting
On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 10:17:15AM +0000, Sean Gibbins wrote:
> eth0 is defined but completely commented out as this interface is unused.

If you comment it out of /etc/network/interfaces then it will be active as
far as network manager is concerned. The interfaces you define in that file
will be unavailable for network manager.

> Any thoughts on how I can make the wireless connection active on boot
> without the manual intervention?

Remove it from /etc/network/interfaces entirely and let network manager deal
with it all?

I'd set the wifi card as "roaming enabled" (available for network manager)
in System --> Administration --> Networking and then configure the wifi from
the network manager applet.

Cheers,
Al.