[Hampshire] Belkin N1 Vision

Author: Rob Malpass
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Belkin N1 Vision
Morning all

I'm thinking of buying [1] for two reasons:
1) As I posted about 12 months ago, my 2nd hand Toshiba Tecra could never connect to my wireless without a USB dongle. This was an odd problem in that it could see my employer's WLAN but not home without the dongle. The home works by a WAP (as opposed to wireless router) that was g only (and seemingly incapable of switching back to b) and my laptop could only receive b and not g. The router has both options.
2) I'm quite interested in the speeds I'm getting - particularly as (would you believe it) Orange have just upgraded me for free to get "upto 7.5Mb/s" so this makes the choice of my cable speed (this is a cable not adsl router) all the more interesting.
3) It's a router with a graphical display - cool.
4) a few other trivial reasons.

But I have a question...

If you read [1], the first review talks about only being able to identify individual client traffic if you use the DHCP server inbuilt. Can I just confirm my understanding here? DHCP is the opposite of static IP addressing isn't it?
Ever since I setup my network, I've used static - no great problem to switch to DHCP but it would screw up my cluster config files so I'd have to fiddle with them.

This is what a router's DHCP server does isn't it? It assigns IP addresses automatically as each client (configured to get an IP address from the router) starts up.

Cheers
Rob

[1] http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-N1-Vision-Wireless-Router/dp/B000XRZOWO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1203072916&sr=8-1