Re: [Hampshire] Belkin N1 Vision

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Belkin N1 Vision
> I'm thinking of buying [1] for two reasons:

A hundred quid for a router? You made of money?

> 1) As I posted about 12 months ago, my 2nd hand Toshiba Tecra could never
> connect to my wireless without a USB dongle. This was an odd problem in
> that it could see my employer's WLAN but not home without the dongle.
> The home works by a WAP (as opposed to wireless router) that was g only
> (and seemingly incapable of switching back to b) and my laptop could only
> receive b and not g. The router has both options.

That's something to look at in the AP config. I've yet to see a g-capable
unit that *can't* do b - although most of them have an option to accept g
only. I'd be looking at that...

> 2) I'm quite interested in the speeds I'm getting - particularly as (would
> you believe it) Orange have just upgraded me for free to get "upto
> 7.5Mb/s" so this makes the choice of my cable speed (this is a cable not
> adsl router) all the more interesting.

Why do you want a single device to control both your Internet connection
*and* your wireless access? If you split those tasks, you get much more
choice of kit, and you get to set your network up as you want to (e.g. my
wireless net gives very restricted access - so if anyone does break my
key, they'll still not be able to abuse SMTP...)

> 3) It's a router with a graphical display - cool.

Mine has a 21" CRT display that happens to hold all my other applications
as well...

> If you read [1], the first review talks about only being able to identify
> individual client traffic if you use the DHCP server inbuilt. Can I just
> confirm my understanding here? DHCP is the opposite of static IP
> addressing isn't it?

DHCP is the Dynamic Host Control Protocol. It hands out information to
machines that request it. That information may comprise many things -
including IP address / netmask, but potentially loads of other stuff as
well.

> Ever since I setup my network, I've used static - no great problem to
> switch to DHCP but it would screw up my cluster config files so I'd have
> to fiddle with them.

This is why I run dhcpd on my network - my server will assign addresses &
other such stuff as I want it. Most routers can forward DHCP requests to
an external server if required.

Vic.