Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu on a AMD K6-2 550MHz

Author: alan c
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu on a AMD K6-2 550MHz
Richard Setford wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Having an issue getting the live Ubuntu 7.10 cd to run on a AMD K6-2 box
> with 312mb ram. Is this spec a little too low for Ubuntu?
>
> It'll get past the splash screen, there's floppy disk drive activity (no
> floppy present though) and then I just get a blank screen with a rapidly
> flashing cursor.

The ram should be ok, and with a slower processor all that will happen
is - it will be slow (er)

A good guess would be the display driver. a quick dirty method is to
try more live CDs - DSL, Puppy, and of course knoppix (as big as
ubuntu), or others.

When you find one which runs with ok graphics (or hardware
recognition whatever), it is possible to identify which driver is
being used. I have found this most useful with say - nvidia cards -
the driver needed was 'nv' however, the one offered automatically was
called something different, and a simple vi edit helped.

--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391