Re: [Hampshire] Application installers

Author: Richard Danter
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Application installers
On 19/02/2008, Vic <lug@???> wrote:
> >> # rpm -q kernel-smp
> >> kernel-smp-2.6.9-55.0.2.EL
> >> kernel-smp-2.6.9-55.0.6.EL
> >> kernel-smp-2.6.9-55.0.12.EL
> >
> > Right, and each one of these kernels has a version number appended to
> > the file name
>
> No, those are the package names.
>
> Some of the filenames within those packages have version numbers appended,
> some don't.

And the ones that don't have a version number must work with every
version or the whole thing will fail.

> > Gets a little more complicated if you need different versions of bash
> > or something like that though. You can only have one /bin/bash.
>
> Yes, but you can have multiple $INSTALL_DIR/bin/bash . This is the sort of
> trick you pull to get clashing packages to install on the same system.
> It's hardly rocket science...

This is the same thing. Instead of appending a version number you are
prepending some extra directories.

> > If anything, installing as a regular user prevents the kinds of
> > privilege escalations that suid apps have.
>
> So don't do suid apps. Use administrative privilege to do administrative
> tasks (like installing software), and use user privilege for doing user
> taks (like running it).

In the perfect world, where every user has root access or does not
have to wait a week for their IT provider to turn up and do an
install, you would be absolutely right.

> > Write access is needed only
> > during the install and when doing upgrades.
>
> root privilege is needed only during install and upgrade...
>
> >> No, I can't see that. I think it makes no sense under any circumstance.
> >> Sorry, an' that...
> >
> > Let's see, 100 users each with even the minimal 2GB install would
> > require an extra 200GB backup media.
>
> You're fixated on the idea that every user needs to be able to do
> installs, and you're breaking the security model to achieve this.

Our customers require this. The "wait a week for their IT to do an
install" comment may sound like fiction but sadly, particularly in the
larger companies, it is becoming more and more the norm.

Rich