Re: [Hampshire] USB Wifi Dongle - Recommendations Sought

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] USB Wifi Dongle - Recommendations Sought
On 19/02/2008, Sean Gibbins <sean@???> wrote:

> Anyway, to the point: can anyone recommend a specific* and reasonably
> current USB wifi dongle that plays nice with recent versions of Ubuntu?

I have used a Edimax wifi dongle.
http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?QuickLinx=4RDS

I would not say it is a simple install.
I had to download drivers from the Edimax web site, compile a kernel
module, and manually edit a config file to enter ssid, wpa password
etc., but it does work and has a full GPL driver for it.
Notes: I could not get it to work with NetworkMonitor, so
autodetecting wireless networks etc. does not seem to work. This is
mainly due to the driver not supporting the latest iwconfig api.

The device apparently support A,B,G and N versions of wifi, so it is modern.

James