Re: [Hampshire] Tuning yum on Fedora 8

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Tuning yum on Fedora 8
> Just what is it *doing* with all that memory?

Perhaps it's just my prejudice showing, but I so tend to see heavy memory
use going hand-in-hand with XML data...

> It's almost motivation for me to have a go coding my own replacement...

I was thinking the same just a few weeks ago - but that's so far down my
priority tree, it's nulikely to see the light of day.

What I have found useful is the little known "makecache" command to yum.

> apt appears to use about an order of magnitude less memory than yum

apt doesn't use XML. Perhaps tjhese are related...

> and seems a lot quicker too.

Much of that is down to the fact that the default behaviour of yum is to
fetch the current state of each repository each time you invoke it - even
if you only invoked it a minute earlier. Use "yum -C" to change that
behaviour - but make sure you've got a cache...

By default, apt caches all its info between invocations, so you use
"apt-get update" to fetch the repo state.

> Of course, comparing the two like this is
> conceivably "playing dirty" ;)

No - just not necessarily meaningful.

Vic.