[Hampshire] Re: Which Distro ?

Author: Russell Gadd
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: [Hampshire] Re: Which Distro ?
My thanks to all for the responses. I found the comments most useful and now
intend to use Ubuntu.

Reasons are: Debian based, based on latest Debian unstable but is fixed
before release to be reasonably stable, runs the Gnucash version I need,
lots of people using it so support should be good. Also I regularly take
partition snapshots so I can easily roll back updates if I have a problem
(personal data is on a separate partition).

Gnucash isn't available as a backport to Debian Etch.

Rejected Lenny because it probably doesn't confer any real advantage in
stability. Also gets delayed security updates. So I may as well have the
benefit of the latest versions of other packages in Ubuntu anyway.

Rejected Fedora as I don't see the need to go through a learning curve for
this, and I'm very happy with Debian distros.

Support for selinux was a reason for considering Fedora. Instead I will look
into running my browser in a virtual machine - probably vmware player (may
look at alternatives here) - as regards email I use a browser to read these.
With a firewalled router I should be secure.

I know there are other similar Debian based distros, like PCLinuxOS and
Mint, but I would think Ubuntu has a far larger user base so better to stick
with this.

Thanks again.

Russell