Re: [Hampshire] Which Distro ?

Author: John Cooper
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Which Distro ?
Russell Gadd wrote:
> I am trying to decide on a distribution to use for my home PC and
> would welcome comments on the following.
>
> <cut>
>
> Ubuntu
> - upside is it is Debian based, has Gnucash 2.2
> - downside is I'm not convinced of its stability - (I think it is
> based on Debian Sid?). I am very keen on stability. I know when Gutsy
> came out there were shouts from Gnucash users of it causing problems
>
> Fedora
> - upside: major distro, has selinux support, presumably benefits
> from Red Hat connection
> - downside: haven't run this, no experience of packaging system,
> have heard a comment that it is used by Red Hat as a test bed for new
> things, so how stable is it?
>
> Russell

The standard of all Linux distros is very high so don't get hung up
about Debian being somehow any better. Linus's 2.6 kernel is very stable
and all the device drivers make it easy to work with. I suggest you try
as many distros as you can and choose which one you feel happy with
(Linux Format has a good selection on DVD each month). Long term support
shouldn't be an issue for desktop use and I actually prefer bleeding
edge to benefit from the latest developments. Fedora is and always has
been very stable, just like Mandrake, PCLinuxOS, or most other distros
and I run it for my business and it has to be stable. I'm also happy
running Ubuntu (Koolu low power PC), Gentoo (Zonbu laptop) and Xandros
based EEE PC. F8 has Gnucash is version 2.2.3 though I actually use
Quicken 2004 under wine :-) .

John.

Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk