[Hampshire] Debian Kernel upgrade

Author: Andy Random
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Debian Kernel upgrade

Hi,

I did an update on a Debian Stable machine today (for the first time this
year) and it pulled in a new kernel version.

#uname -a
Linux mouse 2.6.18-5-686 #1 SMP Tue Dec 18 21:24:20 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux

Given the date there I assume that this isn't a kernel patch for the
recent local->root exploit but some other earlier kernel security update?

As this machine is not net facing and the only two users both know the
root password I'm not too concerned about the recent root exploit but when
I first saw there was a kernel update that is what I originally assumed it
was for until I saw the date.

So is there somewhere I can lookup what this upgrade was for and out of
curiosity any idea when Debian will be releasing a patched version of the
stable kernel for the recent exploit?

Andy